Monday, April 27, 2009

In Loving Memory: T.A.Pathanjali

In Loving Memory, by T.A.Pathanjali


My memories about my cousin, Sri. D.Padmanabhan and his wife Smt Kalpakam, are as fresh as anything else as that happened, in my childhood and youth.

Sri.Padmanabhan was a most a brilliant person. Born and brought up from a very orthodox simple middle class family possessing such a versatile knowledge on any subject (when no exposures like TV/Computor were available) was amazing. I was a zero when I landed as an orphan at his house. I spent 7 years in their Chennai home "Chandrika". This is the golden era in my life. When I left their house I realized that the very association with TKD(DP’s father) and DP and the entire family had provided me with an education and made me an independent person who could fend for himself, for the rest of his life.


Sri. Padmanabhan was master in all subjects. He would be down to the earth when we approached him for any type of help - academic or financial. He was very kind hearted. He showed the same affection and kindness to me or the gardener's children or his own children. His affection towards his relatives was over whelming.

A most obedient child of his parents. He never spoke anything objectionable before his parents when he himself was over 50 years. He used discuss politics or any subject as a friend with his father, late Prof.Duraiswamy Aiyyar . They might not agree on many issues, but it did not show in their relationship.

Donating money and nominating me for taking up construction of Siva temple in Tachakkadu village and allocating his ancestral village house for religious purposes are the finest examples of his philanthropic mind set.

In Tachakkadu village when he went to dispose off his agricultural lands, he never wanted to take away the livelihood of the cultivator who cultivated his lands. He made over a portion of land or full land to the cultivator. free of cost when he had decided to sell all his agricultural lands. Not a single family of Village has forgotten his kindness. This is one of the reason, the villagers are spontaneously supporting the primary health centre sponsored by the children of such a great person.

What ever I am today (orphaned at the age of 9 and brought up completely as one of his sons in his house) shows how your parents helped the needy people. Above all I enjoyed same rights and privileges as his children. My regrets are that your parents are not alive to see me what I have achieved today.

No comments:

Post a Comment