Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Memories of a dear Brother: Padma Jaishri

Padma Attai’s Memoirs of Pappanna

My earliest memory of Pappanna(what we affectionately used to call him) was, when I was about 5 years old. I was staying with Pappanna, Periamma and Patti (Periappa’s mother, DP's grandmother)) in a Bungalow, on the banks of Cauvery river, in Kumbakonam. Pappanna and Manni had come for vacation from North India.

Pappanna during meals used to insist, that I should have the largest plantain leaf. He used to call me ‘Kutti’.

Anna was very knowledgeable about Palmistry. He used to read the palms of every one. He predicted that my ‘Buddhirekhai’ was very good and that I will do very well in my studies if I continue my education.

During one of their vacation visits, from North India, we stayed with them, for about three months in Whitefield, Bangalore. Periappa, Periamma, Anna(Papanna), Manni and myself had an enjoyable time visiting the gardens, at play etc.

While I was with Periappa and Periamma at Thiruvannamalai, Anna and Manni visited us. I remember Anna, Manni and myself going on picnic to ‘Chenji kottai’.(Gingee Fort)

In later years my husband (Jaisri) and I, used to frequently visit Anna and Manni, while they were living in Besant Nagar, Madras, prior to their departure to US. Anna then used to talk about spiritual matters. He used to recite daily, Lalitha Saharsranamam and other scriptures. He had a good knowledge of Sanskrit and used to explain the meaning of Lalitha Sahasranamam and other scriptures. He was all in praise for the Glory of Bhagavan Sri Ramana.

Anna was a large hearted person with great affection for those close to him. One important aspect of his character was he was absolutely truthful and a person of great integrity who would not compromise on principle, under any circumstances.

Om Namo Bhagavathe Sri Ramanaya

No comments:

Post a Comment