We convey our blessings to you all on the occasion of the centenary get-together of Sri. Padmanabha athimber.
Time flies yet memory lingers on. Nostalgia has a wonderful magical impact as it places us in the time machine and transports us back to our youthful days, so full of life and energy. We were the chosen lucky ones to enjoy the company of athimber, akka and the kids, when athimber was in service.
Mention must be made here about the marriage of athimber. Athimber and my father-in law Sri. T.N. Sundaresa Iyer got married at Balavilas on the same day. Kalpaka akka and my aunt/ mother-in-law Rukku akka were cousins.
It was only after my marriage with Malathi on May 21, 1948, our families came into close contact with each other. It was during this time that Padmanabha athimber came down to Madras after serving in North India for a number of years.
I still remember vividly my visit to Waltair where athimber served as the collector.Incidentally I was there for some field training sent by my college as a student. I throughly enjoyed their hospitality. I always looked forward to the visits to Akka's house. An expert cook she pampered me with delicacies and after a hearty meal I accompanied athimber to interesting places.
I recall with joy an incident that took place during my training in the Waltair farm. The Superintendent of the farm was not very kindly disposed towards the students. One fine day athimber came to visit me in my campus. When the watchman opened the gates for the car, the superintendent started shouting at the watchmen and, lo! to his utter embarassement the Collector alighted from the car along with the davali. From that moment a sudden trasformation took place and needless to add that the Superintendent turned into Mother Terasa!
Though born as a grandson of a Deputy Collector (A. Ramachandra Iyer), being a brother-in-law of a collector is a very special status! There is a saying in Hindi.
" Saari duniya ek taraf saala ek taraf." The entire world is no match to a brother-in-law.
Amongst the unforgettable outings with athimber, the safari to Kuruppam and Vijayanagarm forests in the Tamilnadu Andhra border is special. We watched all kinds of wildlife from on top of the machans (tree houses). It was a thrilling experience.
A voracious reader, athimber was very well informed on varied subjects and handled any topic with ease. I always admired his keen intellect and vast knowledge. He had a special liking for dogs and we used to go for walks with his pet Great Dane, Laila. Later the Pomeranian Nushka and AlsatianVikram were there for a long time.
Athimber enjoyed spicy food. He also liked dining out and of course,I have accompanied akka and athimber many a times. They had so much affection for me that even today the boys always visit "Vasu mama" when they come over to Madras.
I congradulate you all for your noble act of remembering your father Padmanabha athimber and have a family reunion. This filial respect will guide you all and I am sure that you will be blessed. Our blessings and best wishes,
R. Bhaskaran
R. Bhaskaran
Appa always spoke about his Waltair camp to us and as childen we heard wide-eyed about the jeep rides and the safaris. It was like reading a Jim Corbet book.
Athai and athimber were very affectionate towards us, the neices and nephews. Soon after my marriage in 1972, when I had gone to Bangalore as a young bride, they visited us many times and blessed us. During a trip to Bangalore, Ponnakka patti wished that the married couple should visit Banasvati Anjaneyar and have his blessings. Athai and athimber made arrangements for vennaikappu and took us for darshan. During the journey, we chanted the sloka "Om namo bhagavate Hanumate...." as taught by athai and sang Hanuman chalisa. They were very devoted to Sri Anjeneyar.
Appa has mentioned about athimber's extensive knowledge on varied subjects. once during a converstaion with athimber, we talked about the seasonal fruits. Since I was a Botany student, I started mentioning the description of certain special features of some plants. To my amazement he delved deep into subject with botanical names et all.
With my best wishes for Athimber's Centenary
Prem
With my best wishes for Athimber's Centenary
Prem
No comments:
Post a Comment